Thursday 18 April 2013

A Very Fashionable Summer Wrap

As the heat of the UAE summer dawns upon us, I'm feeling very boho with my dressing sense. The hippie in me has always been a fan of happy bright summer colours, vintage florals and light breathable cotton.




A wardrobe item that ticks all the boxes above for me is my Rajasthani wrap-around skirt. For those of you who are not familiar with Rajastan, this is a state of India situated in the North West and is famous for their gorgeous silver jewellry, ethnic block prints, and it would be safe to say that they introduced the art of tie-dying fabric to the world.

The wrap-around skirt has been around forever, and was given its much overdue revival boost in the mid sixties and seventies. Unlike most of my mall-crawling generation, my mother and her clan were very nifty with the sewing machine and I've seen photos of my groovy mum donning handmade wraps with applique work and the like that I'd pay a fortune for today (mental note to take some sewing classes from mum next time I'm home). And I'm sure a wrap-around skirt is a very easy thing to stitch up as in the end its just a one-piece fabric that has ribbons at the ends and cut in a skirt-like fashion.
I've only worn my wrap-around as a wrap-around skirt, but am willing to get creative this summer after seeing this video on Youtube:


For those of you blessed with the stitching genes, here's a link for you to try out (and maybe you'd like to make me one too!):

- Big Sis.



No comments:

Post a Comment