Wednesday 29 October 2014

Getting Inked - The Do's & Don'ts of Getting a Tattoo

Hello my lovelies! Missed me? I know its been ages since we've blogged, sorry for the long silence.
 
A lot has been happening in the past few months, more on that in my next few posts. I was down in New Zealand this August and guess what... I decided to get inked! I've been pondering on getting a tattoo for ages, and my Pinterest feed is flooded with possibilities.
 
We don't have tattoo parlors in the UAE. It is banned here (but you can get makeup tattoos for eyebrow enhancements, lip coloring, etc.). So when I passed by Power House Tattoos in New Zealand, I had to have a browse.


Maybe it was because we can't get it done here in the UAE, maybe it was the short timeframe I was in NZ... but with a little encouragement from Lil Sis I took the plunge.
 
I decided to go for a Maori art inspired tattoo, a permanent Kiwi souvenir so to speak!
 
For the placement, I chose the ankle as I felt it was subtle enough for a first tattoo, yet it would look great with the right kind of shoes and cropped pants.
 
So does a tattoo hurt? I'd be lying if I said it didn't, but its not totally unbearable either. And my placement was in quite a boney area! It kind of feels like a semi-gentle gnawing of cat claws.
 
My tattoo took under half an hour, and after it was wiped clean and smeared with some antiseptic ointment, my tattoo artist covered it up with cling film.
 
I was told to wash it once I got home (just quick splashes by hand, not running water as a freshly done tattoo has a risk of ink running), apply some ointment balm they had given me, and let it air dry.
 
You can use any kind of balm as long as it has antiseptic properties and is moisturizing. A quick and easy fix is to add a few drops of tea tree oil to half a tub of Vaseline and use that.
 
You don't want to over-moisturize a tattoo either - it should just be moist and not allowed to dry up.
 
I was in New Zealand in peak winter, so I wore cling wrap on my tattoo under socks when I was out but tried to keep the tattoo bare as far as possible.
 
After a week the tattoo does start to dry up and peel. This is totally natural, but avoid the urge to pick on it as you might be taking out excess ink and also run the risk of getting it infected. Continue using the antiseptic balm for a month or so.


Traditional Maori tattooing is done on the face.
I am already contemplating on my next tattoo... how do you go about choosing a tattoo? Some people just dive in and choose something on the whim (I've read about a man who had a pile of steaming dog shit tattooed on his forehead - not the best look!). For others, a tattoo has to have some personal significance (in my case, a Maori memento).
Secondly, you need to consider the placement of the tattoo. Do you want it to be easily visible? Are you in the corporate field, and need to cover it up on a daily basis? I personally feel if a tattoo is tasteful and does not carry any sporadic meaning, its visibility even in the corporate arena can be acceptable. A skull on the neck, or a tear-drop on the face (which by the way signifies you are a murderer) are definitely not ideal for formal scenarios. Here are some examples of what I feel are timeless and corporate-appropriate tattoos:
 
A dainty little tattoo looks lovely on the wrist and is groovy enough for a lifetime.
This clever tattoo reads "Family" from one side, and "One Love" from the other. Can make a great conversation starter!

I am absolutely in love with this birds tattoo in all seven colors of the rainbow!

 
A tattoo on the collar-bone looks very feminine and is easy to cover up when needed
A tattoo on the nape of the neck or on the top of the back looks funky with low-back styles, and is easily hidden in office attire. I like the simple yet bold look of this geometric tattoo.
 Still on the hunt for the second ink,
Big Sis xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment